Thursday, April 29, 2010

April 29-Cheonan Homestay # 3; Moving to Seosan, our last stop of the trip: PANCAKES!/PANQUEI!!!

Hi! We are here. Have not left South Korea or gotten ourselves involved in any national conflict. :) It has just been very hectic in Cheonan. They have been keeping us busy from dawn til dusk plus we have had 3 homestays in the 5 1/2 days we have been in Cheonan. As you know, moves are never easy and good-byes keep getting more difficult as we get closer to coming back home. Can everyone believe it has been almost 24 days since we left Massachusetts? Time flies when you are having fun!

I have to confess that I have been homesick. Not so much because of the physical place but I have been missing the pancakes my friend Myriam (and argue over with her 2 1/2 year old twins-hey when it comes to pancakes I don't care about your age, OK?!!!) makes and my monthly pancake breakfast at Ashley's. But wait until you hear this one!!!!!!! Yesterday, our homestay family (Rebecca and I have been sharing homestays while at Cheonan) surprised us with french toast, coffee WITH milk, apple juice, BACON and hot dogs for breakfast. Today, I took a bit longer than usual in getting dressed and Rebecca beats me to the dining room. All of a sudden hear head pokes in the doorway and she says, "Carolyn, you HAVE TO come out here. But close your eyes." So I'm thinking, oh no, please not another birthday cake for breakfast. :) I close my eyes, she directs me to the dining room table, tells me to open my eyes and I couldn't help out screaming, "PANCAKES. OMG, PANCAKES." I gave my homestay mom such a biiiiiiiiiiig hug that I almost choked her! Now, I can stay in Korea. As long as there is pancake mix and maple syrup Life is Good.

Time to change families and cities. As we approach the parking lot a familiar figure comes into view. It's Hwalan! Our GSE Coordinator and friend. I jump out of the car and give her a big hug (It's national Carolyn will hug everyone day). As the rest of the group arrives and sees her they all do the same. It is nice to see a familiar face and to have our trip start to come to full circle. We started in Seosan and will end in Seosan.

The trip to Seosan was very chill and full of reflections. Hwalan surprised us by stopping in Yesan at Mr. Busy's (he's the Rotary President in Yesan) where he gave each of us 4 DVD's full of our pictures and memories while in Yesan. The thoughtful details do not stop. We continued to Seosan and from the highway we saw a familiar house; it was Hwalan's house. Yep, right in the middle of the highway we stopped the car and took pictures. When in Korea, you know the rest.

It was a very chill day. We visited the Fort at Haemi, took pictures and videos with school kids on a field trip, went to the Temple that Hwalan and family visit. This Temple distinguished itself from the others we visited in that it is very small and the atmosphere is cozier, not as commercialized and we were able to roam the grounds and meditate under complete silence and beautiful skies. There were decorations everywhere as they are preparing for Buddha's brithday celebration on May 21st (national holiday in Korea). Had a delicious lunch of roasted duck while watching the somber ceremony on TV of the shipmen killed in South Korea.

Eating well, and plenty, and being in good health is key to the South Koreans. So our hosts are always preparing things for us that promote our health spiritually and physically. Aside from visiting temples and hot springs we also get-TAH DAH- FACIAL MASSAGES. They are spoiling us! So guys, when I get back home I don't expect anything less than massages, hot springs and good food. :). One of the Rotarians has her own place and treated the four of us to a 1 hour treatment. She is sooo sweet. Val will luck out b/c that is her homestay. I'm jealous!

Dinner! Buffet style, oh yeah. Guess who was there waiting for us, the District Governor himself and about 15 Rotarians plus some of their family members. Everyone takes such good care of us and our needs that it is overwhelming. Our friend, sister and interpreter Yu-Rim was there to save our lives once more. She has been looking out from day 1 and even took time this evening from studying for her mid-terms to be with us. We love you Yu-Rim.

Now at homestay with Umma and Apha (Apa). Watching Korean drama. Don't understand a thing but who cares all the dramas are the same. Rebecca and I got hooked on a morning drama that ALL of our homestay moms watched in the morning. We kind of concluded that is was the Korean version of Ugly Betty.

On our way to Seoul tomorrow. We promise to catch everyone up on our previous days over the weekend. Take care and see you soon....

No comments: