Sunday, April 11, 2010

Trying to catch up!!!

So blogging, unfortunately, hasn't been as easy as we hoped for. First, we're at our homestays so we don't have the opportunity to do it in the mornings together. Second, it's hard to get a wireless connection in the car and then not get car sick....Third, we didn't bring 3 prong converters so a few of our computers have been dead (should have gotten PC's :) ). And lastly, for some reason, the copy and paste won't work anymore...grrr. So I woke up early today (Monday) to try to get the past few days in. We had some down time yesterday, at a hot house, so we were able to write a few things. I'm going to split up the entries so I can add alot of pictures and some videos!! We'll add more photos later from Matt, Val and Carolyn.

So Friday afternoon...After Hyundai and lunch, we headed to Dangjin Sport's Center for the 8th Annual Tug of War Championships. 14 different countries participated in the competetion. These guys and girls are pretty tough!! Matt was actually interviewed by a local TV crew (we kind of standout wherever we go especially him at 6'3"!!). Then we were off to our 1st Rotary meeting and it was time to give our presentation. Our translator Mi Sun gave us the confidence we needed. We finally caught a break when we were able to match up our technology to theirs. After the meeting was dinner and the opportunity to meet our homestay families. I had already met mine at lunch. We were a perfect match in size and personality! It was a little nervous coming into their home but they made me feel very welcome. We spent some time trying to get to know eachother over rice water and fruit. I showed them some pictures form home and our presentation. Young He's sister, brother-in-law and their daughter came to greet me. Young He lives with he parents, who are 74 and 76 (in Korean years here's 78!). He served in the Korean airforce, during the Korean War, in radio control towers. Her brother and son, who live in Seoul, came Saturday night to see me. And last night, her sister and daughter came to meet me. It's been an honor to meet them all and be their guest. I actually have my own apartment above their house. It's going to be really sad leaving them. Everyone has really gone out of thier way for us, taking us into their homes, taking time off from work, showing us places that a tiurist would never see, and just making us feel part of their culture. I think that I can speak for the team by saying that we really feel like we have made lifelong friends. And the technology issue continues...I apologize but I tried 3 times to upload pictures and it's not working. We'll try later.

No comments: